If a cultural background, based on
an individual’s membership and experiences in religious, ethnic, or other
groups, can have a profound impact on his or her life, then it follows that
cultural identity, or sense of self as based on those same factors, can also
influence an individual’s life (Gollnick and Chinn 8-9). For example, if I were
to count up the cultural groups I am a part of, I would have to include the
following: I am an American, I am female, I am a Christian (thought I don’t
necessarily consider myself a member of any particular denomination), I am a
college student, I am a tutor, I am a musician, etc. There are also other
groups which have an impact even though I don’t consider myself a full member.
For example, I am descended primarily from a mix of English, Scottish, and
Irish ancestors with a small amount of French and Spanish heritage thrown in
for good measure. While I am not English, Scottish, or Irish, I do have some
character traits which can be typically associated with those nationalities. Similarly,
while I am only slightly involved in the political arena, my family has a very
political history, and I find myself interested in politics despite my distaste
for the ugliness and deception that are so prevalent at this time.
Cultural identity, therefore, is an
individual’s sense of self as influenced by the “traits and values learned as
part of […] membership in these groups” (8). Everyone is influenced by his or
her cultural identity, and students are no exception. Children are especially prone
to learn these traits and values, often imitating the attitudes and behaviors
of adults they see around them (16). A child who is read to or sees adults reading
on a regular basis might be more inclined to put her energy into learning to
read than one whose role models prefer TV. If a child has a talent and love for
drawing, hearing from parents or teachers that doing so is “sissy” or even just
being exposed to an attitude of indifference or distaste has the potential to
damage the child’s sense of self-worth. Because of this, it is essential that
teachers model respectful attitudes and behaviors, accepting each student as a
unique individual with a multi-layered background and perspective. Providing
this example, and encouraging students to follow it in relating to each other,
can help students develop a positive “self-concept [which] contributes to the
academic success of the student” (Savage par. 3). Teachers can also consider
developing lessons which would allow students to share aspects of their unique
cultural heritages, such as essays about family traditions, research papers
about ethnic heritage, or other projects of varying complexity depending on the
level of the students (par. 7).
Works Cited:
Gollnick,
Donna M. and Philip C. Chinn. Multicultural
Education in a Pluralistic Society. 10th ed. Pearson, 2017.
Savage, Sam. “The
Cultural Identity of Students: What Teachers Should Know.” RedOrbit.com. 21
Sept. 2005
Anna I agree, I think that children base their cultural identity on how they grow up. Children are influenced by how people act around them, usually people in the family influence them the most. I think its imperative that we as teachers act professional and accepting of others cultures values because kids are influenced by us on a daily basis. If you think about it kids spend most of their day with their teacher, so in a way children are influenced by our culture and our customs as well.
ReplyDeleteI like how you described cultural identity and gave so many different examples great job , by the way your blog looks AMAZING!!!
ReplyDelete